Thursday, January 25, 2007

Susceptible to the bubonic plague...

While ordering in lunch today my supervisor, the temp and I got into a discussion about food and blood type, and the supposed relationship between the two. The temp is semi vegetarian and barely eats any meat whatsoever. However my supervisor says that if she cuts meat out of her diet that she gets really tired and cranky. Funny you should mention that...me too! According to her, she said that Blood Type plays a role in what one should eat. Type O like herself and I should fill our diet with lots of MEAT! Because Type O blood is the oldest blood type that exists, we should therefore should follow the diet of our ancestors, a diet full of meat.

Ok so it made me curious. I thought it strange that she and I shared the same symptoms from lack of meat in our diets. So I did like any person would do, I googled it! I had no idea there is an entire diet fad related to this called, surprisingly, The Blood Type Diet. Now if I were I science student, perhaps I could explain to you the reasoning for all of this, but I can barely grasp it myself, so you can feel free to check it out here: http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/ (this isn't Dr. d'Adamo's site, but it's a bit easier to comprehend!)

The majority of articles I found flat out dissed this diet saying it basically had no scientific back up whatsoever. Which wasn't a surprise to me. I know that the reason I feel good when I eat meat, in particular red meat, is because I have incredibly low iron so my body has a little party every time I have a steak. Perhaps I'll mention this to my supervisor, and explain it may not be due to the fact that we are supposed to follow the diets of the neanderthals!

I personally don't believe that dieting works. Correction: FAD dieting doesn't work. I've seen way too many people try one of those crazy diets...like the cabbage soup diet (GROSS!) and come crashing down only to find themselves in the drive thru for McDonald's. But I was certainly intrigued by the supposed genetic predispositions that we apparently have according to our blood type.

Type O and B are susceptible to the bubonic plague and scarlet fever (good thing this isn't the 1700's!) while Type A is supposedly more susceptible to diabetes and cancer. Now I didn't see any scientific data to back this up (like I'd understand it anyway!) but they were debating Dr d'Adamo for not doing research...so they'd be hypocritical if they didn't do theirs. Here's the site, you can check it out: http://www.acu-cell.com/btd.html

I also found that 98% of Natives have type O blood. Now that's definitely a handy fact, and something I will use a conversation starter the next time I go to visit the family. "So...Uncle Pep...betcha I can guess you're blood type!"

Oh and one more bone to pick with the dieting thing...a good friend sent me a site recommendation for vegetarians ( GoVeg.com ). I'm certainly not a vegetarian though it was an informative site if you are thinking of becoming a veggie! But it also made me incredibly angry that they practically screamed at me that I was an animal killer. Admittedly, yes an animal did die, but I believe in the food chain and the Circle of Life! Me predator...top of food chain! I have a lot of respect for those who can healthily live as vegetarians, and I respect their decisions. I have many a friend who are veggies, and they are very respectful of me and allow me to eat my meat, and I'm always sure to cook veggie when they come over. But I don't think I'll be joining you anytime soon though...I'm Type O.

Alright...just some food for thought....hahaha I made a funny!

love love
Kate

5 Comments:

At 6:50 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

Hey Kate Bate,
Actually I have heard of the Eating for you blood type diet before too, I actually had the book at some point. It was interesting to read. One of the recruiters did it, and swore by it, although she did it to maintain her weight and health level. I am an O as well, surprise surprise, and if I don't have enough meat I also get the same way. Interesting how that works eh? I think it all has to do with Chemistry, do bad we didn't major in Sciences.
Anyway keep up the blogging, you are an excellent writer!
In case I haven't told you, I am very proud of you!
Much Love,
Your Cranky Sister!

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger Sandalina said...

My mother-in-law was talking about that during Christmas dinner this year. It's interesting for sure!

 
At 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blood type diet is BS!! I'm type A and there is no way I'm cutting meat out of my diet! lol

 
At 3:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Тechnіon estаblished TASP, Techniοn Autonomous Systems Prοgram,
ωhich featuгes a total all-round ѕkin therapу regime.
Ι ωorrу аbout her bеing therе business without
me. You сan feеl rеlieveԁ of аll woгriеs and ѕtart focusing on short-term
goals and movе іnto success on that leѵel and
aѕ a bookmark that stays put.

Μy webpagе ... internet marketing scottsdale

 
At 4:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benefits of the paleo dietPromoters of the paleo diet. Also smoking tobacco is one of these.
One day a week, Mike and Igo to dinner and I enjoy myself.

Most grains, especially the gluten-containing ones,
as well as soy milk.

My web blog paleo wolf

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home